The Horizon Europe project Data4Food2030 officially started in September 2022 as a joint initiative of 24 partner organisations, funded by the European Union. The digital transformation of food systems has entered a twilight zone: data-driven innovations have proven to be promising, but it is still unclear how to upscale adoption and reach broader acceptance. There is a need for design principles and a clear roadmap towards fair and inclusive data spaces that support sustainable Food Systems in Europe. Data4Food2030 is a 4-year project that aims to:
- Enlarge the knowledge base and insight into the Data Economy for Food Systems (DE4FS).
- Develop a system that monitors and evaluates the development, performance and impact of the DE4FS on relevant EU policies.
- Identify drivers and barriers and turn these into opportunities, recommendations and solutions.
- Test solutions and evaluate recommendations in case studies and through stakeholder dialogues.
- Provide future scenarios and a roadmap and sustain the developed monitoring system to support policy development and accelerate the desired future state of the DE4FS.
In the scope of Data4Food2030, ATB is leading the work package “case studies on the data economy for food systems”, which includes nine different end-to-end case studies, providing real-life illustrations of the Data Economy for Food Systems at meso/micro-economic level. They are pan-European examples of available data sources, data technologies and data sharing that serve for analysis, mapping of stakeholders’ needs and identification of improvement potentials for promoting data-enabled business models.
Besides leading the case-study work package, ATB is also directly involved in one of the case studies, working together with Euro Pool System, a logistics service provider operating a large pool of Returnable Transport Items (RTIs), foldable boxes that circulate in the food chain. The key objective of this case study, called “Real-Time Fresh Data”, is to facilitate the realisation of a data space, enabling food system stakeholders to exchange data along the food chain and to promote the circular economy through the use of sensor-equipped smart RTIs for transporting fruit and vegetables.