The SmartAgriFood project is part of the Future Internet Public-Private Partnership (FI-PPP) program and addresses farming, agri-logistics and food awareness as a use case for this. The intelligence, efficiency, sustainability and performance of the agri-food sector can be radically enhanced by using information & decision support systems that are tightly integrated with advanced internet-based networks & services. Concurrently, the sector provides use cases for Future Internet design from physical layer all the way up to the service layer.
This project focuses on three sub systems of the sector:
- smart farming, focussing on sensors and traceability;
- smart agri-logistics, focusing on real-time virtualisation, connectivity and logistics intelligence;
- smart food awareness, focussing on transparency of data and knowledge representation.
Using a user-centred methodology, the use case specification will be developed with a particular focus on transparency and interoperability of data and knowledge across the food supply chain.
Project results will include:
- Use Case descriptions for smart farming, including sophisticated and robust broadband sensing and monitoring of animals and plants;
- Use Case descriptions for smart agri-logistics, including intelligent transport and real-time logistics of agri-food products;
- Use Case descriptions of smart food awareness, focussing enabling the consumer with information concerning safety, health, environmental impact and animal welfare;
- Identification of generic requirements for generic enablers;
- Extensive community and user organisation involvement both in requirements gathering, pilot demonstration and evaluation;
- Specification of interfaces and functionalities for integration to Core Platform (see FI-Ware project);
- Significant contributions to standardisation and regulatory bodies in Europe.